Home Building Process
We’ve composed this list to show you the steps and process that goes into a custom building project. This will help with any questions you might have, and enable you to follow along during the building project.
Step One - Meetings with Client
We begin with a series of meetings, so we can discuss the various details related to your project.
- Start the design process or review your plans
- Present you with a list of general construction selections
- Discuss the various types of contracts
- Walk the proposed building site or existing home. Discuss the various permitting needs.
- Develop preliminary construction design.
- Review your completed list of general construction selections
- Outline the scope of your project
- Comprise a general list of materials
- Review drawings or architectural plans
Step Two - Outline Proposal
Highland Builders Inc. will create a detailed proposal based on the general construction selections and decisions made from previous meetings. The proposal will include the following:
- Estimated price
- Construction time frame
- Project specifications
- Material options
Step Three - Finalizing Proposal
- Highland Builders Inc. or architect completes project plans
- Engineer completes structural drawings
- Engineer completes site and septic drawings
- Client makes final selections
- Highland Builders Inc. provides information on potential permits, which include:
- Board of Health, Building and Fire Departments, and possibly Conservation, Historical, and Board of Appeals, depending on your project.
Step Four - Acceptance of Proposal
- Signing contract and retaining deposit
- Site plans presented
- Architectural and Engineering plans presented
- Warranty and Insurance information provided
Step Five - Construction of Home
- Maintaining construction time frame
- Providing complete supervision on site at all times
- Communicating with client via phone, fax or email.
Step six - Completion of Project
- Walk through home with client
- Orientation of new home or renovation with client
- Present owner's manual including all warranties and user manuals
- Present client with keys
Helpful Information for Clients
When deciding to build a home or renovate your existing, it is a very helpful tool to start a folder of pictures of all the things you like in a home. Pictures are worth a thousand words.
Rough sketch floor plan ideas, create a wish list for your home.
Try to come up with a realistic budget for your project.